September 18, 2013

Botanical Press


The pockets are filled with leafs and nuts and twigs, the bags are heavy with conkers and pine cones. In autumn no stone in my path stays unturned in my almost childlike pleasure of harvesting the season’s bright coloured treats.
Coming home I then hide those precious treasures in my house like a squirrel. Where they rest and decorate my home in autumn’s colours. That is until many months later the spring clean wipes them all out again. I usually don’t mind losing my finds after the festive season as I thrive on these seasonal changes. Every now and then, though, I think, wouldn’t it be nice to preserve some of these colours for longer?
That’s when I decided this autumn I would need a botanical press. I read a bit about pressing flowers on the internet and although many suggest that a few heavy books will already do for beginners, I decided a proper press might be better. (In case I would like to read these heavy books).


I was pleasantly surprised to find the process of building it fairly simple and cheap. Here is what I used: 3 wooden scrap boards, which were cut for me to an equal size; four nuts 100mm long and four matching bolts and one A4 sketch pad.
The sketch paper is much thicker than normal paper which helps in the process of absorbing the moisture out of the pressed flowers. Again I found that people suggested some plain white paper and newspaper on top would do, but as the absorption is crucial for a successful drying I decided to invest a bit (that’s 3 GBP for one pad).
To build the press I stacked the boards on top of each other and used two clamps to hold them in place, then I (well my favourite Englishman actually) drilled four holes, one in each corner for the nuts. Since I used scrap wood I sanded them after the drilling to ensure a smooth surface, but that step is probably optional.
At last I assembled the press: I screwed the nuts through the first board and layered half of the paper on it, then I placed the second board on top and again layered some paper on top. Then I placed the last board on top and screwed the nuts through all layers. Finally I fixed everything in place with the bolts. Having two layers of paper makes it a bit fiddly to disassemble I realised, but never mind.


I can’t wait for my first dried flowers. Unfortunately according to several sources on the web, the flowers should be left for at least four weeks! I guess I just have to be patient now...

Nadine





Die Taschen voll mit Blättern, Nüssen und Zweigen, der Rucksack schwer von Kastanien und Kieferzapfen: Im Herbst bleibt kein Stein auf meinem Weg unangetastet, in meiner fast kindischen Freude an der Ernte der farbigen Saisonfrüchte.
Zu Hause angekommen, hamster ich meine Kostbarkeiten wie ein Eichhörnchen. Zumindest bis zum nächsten Frühjahr, wenn der Frühjahrsputz die Überreste wieder heraus fegt. Mich stört das Wegwerfen eigentlich nicht, denn ich liebe die Monate der Veränderung. Hin und wieder denke ich jedoch, wäre es nicht schön, einige dieser Schätze länger zu erhalten?
Deshalb habe ich beschlossen, diesen Herbst muss eine Blumenpresse ins Haus. Zwar brachte eine erste Recherche im Netz hervor, dass für Anfänger schon einige dicke Bücher reichen, aber ich entschied mich gleich aufs Ganze zu gehen (vielleicht will ich die dicken Bücher ja nochmal lesen im Winter).



Zu meiner positive Überraschung war der Bau und die Anschaffung einer Presse ziemlich simple und günstig. Folgendes habe ich benutzt: 3 Holzplatten aus Restbeständen, die für mich auf eine Größe geschnitten wurden; vier Schrauben mit einer Länge von 100mm und vier passende Muttern sowie ein Sketchblock in A4.
Das Sketchpapier ist dicker als gewöhnliches Druckerpapier, was das Absorbieren der Feuchtigkeit aus den Pflanzen unterstützt. Auch hier sagen viele Stimmen im Netz reicht zu Beginn weißes Papier und Zeitungspapier, aber das das Entziehen der Feuchtigkeit ein echter Knackpunkt ist beim Pressen, habe ich mich entschieden etwas mehr zu investieren (naja, 3 GBP für einen Block).
Um die Presse zu bauen habe ich zunächst die drei Holzplatten aufeinander gestapelt und mit Klemmen fixiert. Dann habe ich (oder besser mein Lieblingsengländer) mit einem Bohrer vier Löcher, eins in jede Ecke, gebohrt. Da ich Restholz verwendet habe, habe ich anschließend alle Seiten mir Sandpapier geglättet. Dieser Schritt ist aber optional, je nachdem was für Holz verwendet wird.
Zu guter Letzt muss die Presse noch zusammengebaut werden: Dafür ein Holzbrett etwas Papier, ein weiteres Holzbrett, noch mehr Papier und wieder ein Holzbrett übereinanderstapeln und dann die Schrauben durch die Löcher drehen und alles mit den Muttern auf der anderen Seite fixieren.
Die zwei Lagen Papier erlauben es mehrere dicke Pflanzen gleichzeitig zu pressen, machen das Auseinanderbauen aber auch schwieriger.


Trotzdem kann ich es kaum erwarten, die ersten Pflanzen auszupacken. Unglücklicherweise brauche ich aber laut Internet noch etwas mehr Geduld, denn das Pressen dauert mindestens vier Wochen...

Nadine


2 comments:

  1. What a super clever idea! I was planning on drying flowers in the next week or so, for an upcoming project, and that is just a nifty idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aubrey,

    that's so sweet of you. I hope you'll share that mentioned project on your blog ;) I can't wait to see what others make out of this seasons treasures.

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete