April 30, 2014

Eating Seasonally // May


With our first garden ready to grow this year I hope that eating seasonally will come more natural to us than it has in the past. I really dig fresh ingredients. I wouldn’t call myself an avid cooker, but due to some food allergies (onion, ginger and celery) I have always cooked my meals from scratch and fresh, seasonal products have always been an important factor on my ingredients list. Back in Germany I often went to the Saturday farmers markets.

When I moved to England I wasn’t so lucky to have a farmers market around the corner, therefore I started to make an effort to buy vegetable and fruit from the supermarket which were produced in the UK (with a few exceptions: we loves bananas!).I noticed two things: First, there was definitely a major difference in the ability to store the food and second, surprisingly many products who were announced as “in season” where in fact still from overseas.

This year I thought it might be helpful to start and make a monthly list of what is currently in season in the UK. I do a lot of weekly meal planning and could do with cutting down on the surprises in the supermarket (like planning to roast some corn on the cob and then having in flown in from the Senegal). Although I probably grab most of my ingredients (fingers crossed) fresh from the ground in the next few month. Also I thought not everyone out there (well, in the UK) who likes fresh vegetables can afford to have a garden and would appreciate a list of what to get and what to leave.

For all us fresh vegetable and fruit lovers, here the list to eating seasonally in May:

At it’s best this month... British Asparagus, Rhubarb

Also on the vegetable isle:
Broad Beans, Broccoli, Chicory, Cauliflower, Cucumber, Fennel, Jersey Royal, Kohlrabi, Lemon Sole, Mint, New Potatoes, Radishes, Rocket, Sorrel, Spring Onions, Watercress.

And in the fruit section:
Gooseberries

Now available in the wild:
Elderflower

Happy fresh shopping (or foraging), friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment