July 16, 2014

Eating seasonally // July

This year, as part of my goal to eat more intentionally, I want to celebrate the seasons with its best produce. Not only do I want to focus on buying vegetables and fruits when they’re “in season”, but when the local crops are hitting the markets. However, among the abundance of vegetables and fruits that fill the supermarket isles every day I sometimes find it hard to determine whether something is actually in season and therefore from local farms or just available because it still grows in other countries. With “Eating seasonally” I create a monthly list of what to get and what to leave in the vegetable and fruit isles to help me and others to make better choices while food shopping and enjoy the freshest produce.

Here is to eating seasonally in July.

At its’ best this month... Cherries, Cucumber, Curly Lettuce

Other local produce on the vegetable isle:
Aubergine, Beetroot, Broad Beans, Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Courgettes, Greens, Fennel, French Beans, Garlic, Kohlrabi, New Potatoes, Onions, Peas, Potatoes, Radishes, Rocket, Runner Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watercress.

And in the fruit section:
Blackberries, Blackcurrants, Blueberries, Cherries, Gooseberries, Raspberries, Redcurrants, Rhubarb, Strawberries.

Happy fresh shopping (or foraging), friends!

Note: This list is based on the UK and its seasons and farms, because this is where I currently live and shop. If you live elsewhere in the world, I am sorry that this article might not be as much help to you, but I would be delighted to read about what’s currently growing in your country in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment