August 06, 2014

No. 12 // Rosinenbrötchen aka Tea Cakes


The other day in my teeny-tiny English kitchen: The kitchen window is steaming from the heat of the oven. The sweet smell of yeast is lingering in the air. On the counter top between used bowls, open flour bags and a ripped package of sultanas sits a black baking tray with golden brown, freshly baked bread rolls on top. (Enter my favourite Englishman.)

“Oh, you made tea cakes. Great!”

“No, I made German ‘Rosinenbrötchen’!”

“Well, they look a lot like tea cakes to me”, my fav Englishman replies while grabbing one and spreading butter generously across the warm bread roll.

“But they are Rosinenbrötchen.”

“Mmmh, yummy and they taste like tea cakes.”

“Fine, but they are still called Rosinenbrötchen.”

“You are a ‘Rosinenbrötchen’!”

“Certainly not. Do you like them?”

The Englishman grins at me and grabs another one, while whispering into my ear: “I love those tea cakes!”

So maybe this 12th baking adventure wasn’t strictly a German one. Never mind, these bread rolls were still delicious AND made my kitchen smell like baking heaven. Win, win, whatever the name. Oh and they are totally easy to make, too. Here is how it goes:

500g plain flour (or strong flour)
1 package dry yeast
50g sugar
125g butter (soft)
2 eggs
200g raisins or sultanas (washed)
salt

1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk

I started by sieving the flour into a big bowl and mixing the yeast in. Then I added the sugar, butter, eggs and a pinch of salt and mixed all the ingredients together with my hands until smooth dough was formed. Then I added the sultanas. Once the sultanas were evenly mixed into the dough I placed the bowl in a warm place (usually my pre-heated and then turned off oven). I waited until the dough had doubled in size, which took an hour approximately.

To make the bread rolls I placed the dough onto a lightly floured surface and formed a long thick roll. With a sharp knife I cut the roll into equally sized portions and moulded each into a bread roll with my hand. I got around twelve out of it. I placed the rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper and let them rest again for a while. I made sure that there was quite some space between them as they really grow bigger while resting.

Just before I put them in the oven (pre-heated to 180degrees) I mixed the egg yolk with the milk and brushed it over the rolls. Into the oven they went and twenty minutes later I had some nice golden tea cakes.

Erm, Rosinenbrötchen, I mean.


This was Number 12 of my 13 baking adventures on The Bread List. For more recipes and adventures from my kitchen, check here.


No comments:

Post a Comment