December 01, 2014

Hot Chocolate Monday: Milk Chocolate and Cinnamon


I wouldn't call myself a morning person, but over the years I have gotten used to early mornings. In secondary school my days would usually start at 6am. Early, I know, especially around the dark and cold winter months. However, not as early as my dad who used to beat me to the bathroom by 15 minutes. Usually no problem, as like most man he is quick in the bathroom and by the time I got up he would already be out again. Every now and then though, he wouldn't wake up in time and so instead of rushing to get my tooth brushed, I was forced to sit on the stairs that lead from my loft room to the first floor - waiting for my turn. Of course I could have slept a few minutes longer, but then I might have overslept and missed my slot (my sister was next in the line) and besides I would have missed out on one of my my mum's greatest inventions ever. The Hot Chocolate Mornings.

On these cold, gloomy winter mornings, when the floorboard would feel ice cold under my naked toes and all I wanted was to wrap myself up again in a cosy blanket while waiting for the bathroom, my mum would get up too and make me (and my sister) a cup of hot cocoa to start our days. Amazing lady, or what!

In honour of this wonderful tradition I thought it would be fun to share my favourite hot chocolate recipes with you, and just like my mums hot chocolate brighten up your dark Monday mornings.

This one is made with melted milk chocolate and cinnamon. Serves 2.

2 (big) cups of milk
150g milk chocolate
ground cinnamon
whipped cream

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan with boiling water. Once melted stir in the milk. Season with a tablespoon of ground cinnamon. Fill in mugs and top with whipped cream and some more sprinkles of the cinnamon. Enjoy!

Happy 1. December!

No comments:

Post a Comment