March 20, 2015

A Beginner Sews: Sleeping Mask

As a child I had a very specific idea of what my beauty routine as a grown up woman would look like. I pictured long baths with lit candles and rose petals, after which I would wrap myself into a silk gown and tie my hair back with a white fluffy towel. Luxurious crèmes and fluids would line my bathroom shelves. I would spend my evening winding down applying face masks and massage scented oils into my skin. And there would always be a sleeping mask in reach.

Well, turns out I am more the quick shower and go type. However, there are some beauty essentials that I learned not to skip: No. 1 Good sleep! While my dressing gown might be made of cotton instead of silk and my approach to pampering is generally less luxurious as anticipated at the age of 10, I did start using a sleeping mask (Yeah, one step closer to being a grown up!).
As my old one is the left over from a flight to Australia last year, I felt it was time for a change aka a second sewing project. I found a wonderful step-by-step guide on For The Makers and with a little bit of tweaking it took less than an hour until soft jersey and flowers were covering my eyes. My dreams have never been sweeter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleeping Mask

Ingredients:

2 pieces of fabric each around 20cmx20cm
Sewing machine (with bobbins and thread)
Pins
Fabric scissors
Sleeping mask template (For The Makers have a good one)
Wadding
Elastic band

Instructions:

1. Print and cut the template for the mask.
2. Lay all your fabrics (wadding included) over each other and place the template on top. Pin in place.
3. Cut around the template, as close as possible.
4. Iron your fabric pieces (not the wadding).
5. Cut the template down along the inner line (if you use the one from For the Makers) or by ½ centimetre.
6. Place the smaller template on the wrong side of the fabric that will be the inside of your mask and mark around it.
7. Place the wadding face down and cover with one of the fabric pieces right side up (the one that you want to be visible when wearing the mask).
8. Line up your elastic along the middle of your mask and pin in place with a safety pin.
9. Now place the second piece of fabric on top right side down. Pin everything in place.
10. Sew in small straight stitches along the line that you marked of earlier (see step. 6). Start on one side of the nose bridge and go outwards, stop on the other side of the nose bridge leaving a gap of about 3 cm open.
11. Turn your mask right side out through that hole.
12. Hand stitch the last 3cm with small diagonal stitches.
13. Slip your sleeping mask on for a quick, little test nap.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy sewing!
Nx


No comments:

Post a Comment