March 13, 2015

Cupcakes For Birds

Gardeners and birds are a strange pair. I get wee bit excited every time I spot a feathered fella in our Hawthorne hedge but then immediately want to throw myself onto all our plants to protect them from the little beaks and their pestering nibbles.
Basically, I turn into a 5-year-old who doesn’t quite know if she should be excited or scared. Squealing and clapping enthusiastically included, whenever I can identify the visitor (both actions not helpful while bird watching!).

After a full year as gardener I might not be an ornithologist yet, but I can definitely tell my robins (funny orange bellies) from my sparrow. And that’s when it really gets fun. So due to all this excitement I decided it’s about time that I start bribing them to visit more often (and maybe teach them what food is allowed and what not?). And what could possible work better than a yummy cupcake of lard and seeds, huh!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bird Cupcakes

Ingredients:
Lard
Mixed bird seeds (like these)
Cupcake moulds (or else)
String

Instructions:

1. Melt the lard in a pan on low heat.
2. Once the lard is melted take the pan off the heat and add the bird seeds (ratio about 1/1)
3. Stirr it around so the seeds mix well with the fat.
4. Pour the mixture straight from the pan into the cupcake molds.
5. Pop the seed cupcakes into the fridge or freezer until the lard is set.
6. Tie some string on the cupcakes and hang in your garden.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy birdwatching!
Nx



No comments:

Post a Comment