January 01, 2016

Seasons Greetings | January


The first few days of the year always seem the clearest to me. The air is a little crisper, the interior a little whiter, the calendar pages still empty. The year lies ahead of us like an untouched present still in its shiny wrapping paper. January, with its messy-free, uncluttered atmosphere of new beginnings, is when my energy thrives at most. There is calm in this blank canvas. It gives me the quiet I need, to focus on what I want next. Soon the canvas will be covered in stories and to-dos, piling up, overlapping each other, spilling out of every inch and I will be all consumed by it swimming with it, taking the waves as they come.

Now, however, everything is quiet. I can see the ocean ahead. The dark days of the old year are fading out. The cold light of winter invites us in for long walks along empty beaches and deserted hills; guided only by our thoughts and the mist of our breath crystallising in front of us.

Giving us time to think and plan and wonder about what’s next. In my house I pack away the colourful decorations of Christmas and replace them with clean surfaces, sprinkles of nature’s finds and layers of white. Lots and lots of white! It spreads itself across our home in the form of textured cushions, blankets and candles. Hiding the mess and clutter, like a blanket of snow. Giving me room to breathe and think and be.

I love this time of year and I welcome it with the naive enthusiasm of the adventure-starter that I am: for beginnings are what I am good at. We shall meet again amidst the mess and dust that comes with turning possibilities into reality. For now I am off to planning, dreaming and slowly filling the pages of my new calendar.

Happy New Year to you all!





No comments:

Post a Comment